Why Metal Grill Brushes Are Dangerous

9


After a terrifying 24-hour ordeal, Jenna Kuchik is warning all parents about what happened to her boy during a typical Summer evening.

Just minutes after Jenna’s child, Ollie, started eating his dinner, the 4-year-old began crying over his plate of BBQ chicken. Ollie complained that something was stuck and hurting his throat. “After suspecting a BBQ bristle was stuck, Matt checked the other chicken that we hadn’t eaten yet and found one in there too,” Jenna shared on Facebook. “X-ray confirmed a few hours later that there was indeed a metal BBQ brush bristle in my little boys throat.”


According to his mom, Ollie couldn’t swallow and kept gagging throughout his two hours at the hospital. The doctor decided that due to the bristle’s location in Ollie’s throat, the family needed to be transported via ambulance to a different hospital. “It was the most awful and difficult 24 hours of my life watching my son in so much pain, not being able to do anything to make it better, and knowing that this could have been 100 percent avoidable,” Jenna wrote. “We even have a wooden BBQ grill cleaner still new in package that we’ve been meaning to use….”

Ollie had to undergo surgery in order to remove the two pieces of metal lodged in his throat, and Jenna hopes that no other child will suffer from this accident. “He was such an amazing, strong, brave boy (even after not being allowed to eat or drink for almost 24 hours) and I am so grateful he is OK but I just don’t ever want something like this to happen to someone else,” she wrote. “PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, EVERYONE do not use a metal BBQ brush!”