Image Source: POPSUGAR Photography / Anna Monette Roberts
While scanning So Good ($20), the latest cookbook by Chef Richard Blais, I paused when I read the recipe for chocolate avocado toast. It sounded almost like chocolate avocado pudding but slathered over toast. Sweet avocado toast? I had to try it!
Since I live solo, I reduced this recipe down to one avocado pretty easily. I simply processed it with 2 tablespoons cocoa powder and 2 teaspoons honey. After a few bites of the toast, I thought it needed a little something extra, so I drizzled more honey over the top and generously sprinkled it with kosher salt. There! The toast was damn near perfect. The salty-sweet dark chocolate flavor, fluffy mousse-like texture, and tart raspberries made for a breakfast I’m likely to prep on repeat.
Image Source: © 2017 by Evan Sung
A delicious way to get your kids to eat avocados. And one with just enough sweetness to surprise and charm the adults in the crowd.
- 8 avocados, pitted and peeled
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup honey
- 6 thick slices sourdough bread
- 3 pints raspberries or strawberries
- Put the avocados, cocoa powder, and honey in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Blend until smooth.
- Toast (or grill) the bread slices until golden brown.
- Spread the avocado puree over the toasts and then top with the berries. Serve right away.
Avocado Toasts from So Good by Richard Blais. Copyright © 2017 by Richard Blais. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.
- Serves 6